Must-see sights –
Built in 1906 during the reign of Emperor Guangxu of Qing Dynasty, the Jintang Bridge is the first three arch swing bridge in Tianjin and the last of its kind in China. The bridge holds great historical significance as it marks the freeing of Tianjin by the People’s Liberation Army in the Battle of Beiping-Tianjin. Now the bridge is used as a gathering place for Tianjin citizens to watch fireworks and music performances. Jintang Bridge is only a 3-minute walk from the resort
The Jiefang Bridge (Bridge of Liberation) is situated over the section of Hai River between the front square of the Tianjin Railway Station and North Jiefang Road. Built by the French Concession authorities, it was also known as the French Bridge or International Bridge. The bridge has three arches with a moveable middle section. It is often considered as a pioneering model of China’s bascule bridge development. On foot, the Liberation Bridge is approximately 20 minutes away from the resort.
The Tianjin Eye is a ferris wheel located at the headstream of the Hai River. It has a diameter of up to 110 meters, with 48 cabins accommodating 384 persons at one time. At the apex of its rotation, you can enjoy sights of up to an impressive 40 kilometre radius. Reach Yongle Bridge with a 20-minute stroll.
Tour the city –
Located in the northeast of Nankai District, north from Tongbei Road, along the Hai River, the Ancient Cultural Street is divided between the South Palace Street and North Palace Street and centered by the Mazu Temple built in AD 1404. Qing Dynasty styled buildings line the street with shops selling Chinese calligraphy instruments, jade, ceramics and clay figurines. The Huanghui Fair is held here annually.
Covering the rectangular area to the south of Chengdu Road, north of Machang Road, east of Xikai Road and west of intersection of Machang Road and Nanjing road, Five-Avenue Area features over 2,000 foreign garden-style buildings circa 1920’s and 1930. Many politicians and celebrities have established residences in the area.
Positioned by the Hai River, this street was and still is a popular address for foreign banks and financial institutions. Historical buildings, most over 100 years old afford vistors a glimpse of the development of the Tianjin, as well as the Chinese financial industry.
No.70 Anshan Road, Heping District, is the former residence of the last Emperor of China, Aisin-Gioro Pu Yi. It was built in 1921 with original name of Qianyuan Manor. In July 1929, Pu Yi moved here with Wan Rong, his empress, and Wen Xiu, his concubine, and renamed it as Garden of Serenity. The Aisin-Gioro Pu Yi Exhibition Hall, located in the manor, displays hundreds of pictures and articles of literature, pertaining to Pu Yi’s life from emperor to common citizen and his activities in Tianjin.
At the south end of Heibei District, north of Hai River, with a floor area of approximately 100,000 sqm, lies the largest, best-preserved Italian-style building complex in Asia today.
One of the oldest and largest Zen Buddhist temples in Tianjin, the Temple of Compassion is situated in the northeastern part of Tianwei Road, Hebei District. First built during the end of the Ming Dynasty and throughout the beginning of the Qing Dynasty, the five-year reconstruction and expansion of the temple and its grounds was supervised by Tanxu, the 44th master of Tiantaizong.
Tour the suburbs -
Dubbed the “Backyard of Beijing and Tianjin”, the area in northern Ji County features landscapes of mountains, forests, rivers, the Great Wall and ancient temples. Pay your respects in a hallowed temple on Mount Pan, climb the Huangyaguan section of the Great Wall or ask for a blessing from the goddess Guanyin at Dule Temple.
One of the Top 15 Famous Scenic Spots of China, Mount Pan is also referred to as the “First Mountain East of Beijing”. Located northwest of Jixian County, the lush mountain peaks at 858 metres above sea level and is home to 72 temples and Buddhist schools, a treasure trove of cultural relics.
Built in the 7th Year of Tianbao period, Beiqi Dynasty (557), and expanded during the Ming Dynasty, Huangyaguan is 42km section of the Great Wall. Established on a mountain ridge, Malam Gate, Zunhua County, Hebei Province, lies to its east and is connected with Jiangjun Gate, Pinggu District, Beijing, to its west.
The 1000-year-old Dule Temple lies west of Jixian County. Originally built in the Tang Dynasty, it was rebuilt in the 2nd year of Tonghe Period (984) of Liao Dynasty, making it one of the oldest surviving wooden buildings in China. The main highlight of the architecturally and culturally significant structure is the 16-metre-high clay statue of the goddess Guanyin in its main building.